Monday, November 13, 2017

Closing Words

The phrase, "what a time to be alive," is thrown around a bit cynically these days to point out how ridiculous the world around us has become, especially with the advancement of technology into sometimes worthless areas. For example: there's a video on Youtube that compiles several dozen movie clips. All of them are phone calls, probably from scenes you recognize. And they all have one thing in common: no one says "goodbye" before hanging up. Someone actually created this compilation. What a time to be alive.

The video brings up a good point, though. It is a little weird to hear and watch hangup after hangup without so much as a "see ya." (This phrase is used in one clip in the above compilation, granted.) It seems impersonal. Imagine yourself on the other end of these calls, some of which are between people who are obviously romantically involved. This is not the way to close a conversation.

Once I was made aware of this moment that's common to many movies, I can't help but see it all the time. And it interrupts the movie for me.

Which is why, when someone asked me about the way I close the worship service, I realized I had to make a change. A change for the better, of course. Most often, I will close the service during the final song by saying something like, "Have a wonderful week. You're dismissed." Someone pointed out that the word "dismissed" is most often used by teachers in a classroom. Suddenly, the phrase sounded awkward, out-of-place, even inappropriate.

The conversation with this person reminded me of something I know to be true, but which I forget too often: words are important. The background, current context, and delivery of words can really skew their meaning. Not only that, but if the worship service is a spiritually shaping event, then we owe it to ourselves to make sure we're using better words in the moments of the worship service, even the closing.

There's no blueprint for closing a worship service in the Bible. But there are many examples of closing words. And when we use these words in a worship service, we are pointing to the Bible, to its relevance. We are pointing to the truth of the gospel, to the power of the Holy Spirit to lead us. Consider these powerful closing words...


I'll make a confession that I've found true in my work, and I've learned is true for more pastors than I would have guessed... sometimes I spend so much time working on songs, and service order, and announcements, that I forget some of the most important words in the service: the opening, the prayers, the closing. All of these are opportunities to point us to God's word and remind us of God's presence.

The last words we say together should be words that affirm God's sending us into the world. Whether they speak grace and peace, or remind us of the Great Commission, or praise the God who sustains us, the words mark a transition back into the world around us. It's not just a time to slip on our coats and start to make lunch plans. It's a time to remembering with joy that God blesses us and goes with us.

No comments: